Christmas morning is busy - opening gifts, putting toys together, preparing for dinner... so much to do! Therefore, breakfast needs to be easy! Check out this recipe for baked oatmeal and plan to make it for your family over the holidays. The great thing about this recipe is that you can put it all together before you go to bed (after Santa comes!).
When you wake up on Christmas morning all you have to do is pop it in the oven and 20 minutes later breakfast is done AND your house will smell amazing.
- Easy Christmas Oatmeal Bake
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup wheat germ (optional)
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups milk (I used almond milk)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (I baked a pumpkin but you could use canned)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup apple, chopped (I left the skins on)
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. I have this awesome oil mister from Williams and Sonoma. It is cool because you can use whatever oil you would like to use.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, wheat germ, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking powder, and cranberries. In a separate bowl, combine the milk, pumpkin puree, melted butter, egg, and vanilla, whisking until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, and stir to combine all of the ingredients. Add the apple and combine with the wet oatmeal mixture. Spread the oatmeal into the baking dish, and sprinkle with walnuts.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the oatmeal has set and the top is golden. Serve warm, topped with additional milk, if desired.
- Make this recipe your own: add raisins, coconut, etc.
What do you plan on eating Christmas morning? I would love to hear from you. Post a comment below.