I am full steam ahead getting ready for baby girl Moore to make her arrival in T-minus 7 weeks. My husband, Brian, thinks I am a wild woman washing all of Madilyn’s old clothes, cleaning the nursery, ordering lots of baby goodies from Etsy and spending hours getting nursery decorating ideas from Pinterest. So much fun.
After spending a few days crying my eyes out in complete panic and overwhelm that I will be taking care of another human being in less than 2 months, I picked myself up and moved on. I gave myself a pep talk.
So, how does a busy mama/woman move from that place of complete overwhelm to excitement? Below are my ideas:
1. Have a good cry. Let it out. Scream. Holding it all in gets us no where. Go take a shower and have a good cry. Get out of the shower, and move on. One step at a time. Or visit this place.
2. Make a list. Instead of avoiding what is coming, meet it half way and be prepared. Make a to-do list. Nothing feels better than crossing things off of a to-do list.
3. Eat real food. Yep, get back on track and eat well. What we eat becomes who we are. It affects our mood and emotions. When I eat like crap I tend to feel like crap. Depression and anxiety creep back in. Not cool. Start small and determine a few dietary changes you can make. Make these Wild Salmon Patties. They totally rock. See recipe below. When it comes to buying salmon, go wild. I go for Wild Planet brand.
4. Move your bum. At 33 weeks pregnant, I am lucky if I walk around the block most days. However, the days that I do, I feel better. My mind is more clear.
5. Count your blessings. Sure, life is not perfect. Guess what? It never will be. However, the more we count our blessings and realize what we DO HAVE, the better everything is.
Wild Salmon Patties
1 can wild caught salmon, drained
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
1/2 of a red bell pepper, chopped
1/3 cup chopped greens (kale, spinach, collards, etc. – about 3 leaves, stems removed)
4 green onions, chopped
handful of parsley, chopped
Sea salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons real mayonnaise (I like Spectrum brand)
1 egg, lightly beaten (pastured preferred)
2 tablespoons olive oil
In a large bowl, break up salmon into small pieces, discarding any pieces of bone or skin. Mix in breadcrumbs, seasoning, pepper, onions, kale, parsley, salt and pepper, mayonnaise and egg until combined and then shape into small patties. (I usually make 5 large patties).
Heat oil in a large skillet on the stove. Arrange the patties in the skillet in a single layer and cook about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Serve salmon cakes hot, with lemon wedges on the side over a green salad.
Yep, life is too awesome to be overwhelmed. I mean, look at this face, right?