So excited to have a guest post from another mommy blogger, Kandace from Carolina Mannequin. Kandace is a busy mom like me and so many other mamas out there. So, I asked her how she gets a decent, healthy meal on the table. Today, she is sharing one of her favorite recipes for Oatmeal Muffins.
I don’t know about you but I am the exact opposite of a morning person. I’ve been this way my entire life and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. After having a baby four months ago my sights are set on getting back to my pre-pregnancy jeans. I know we’ve heard it a million times that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But…when you take an anti-morning person plus a new mom, what you have is someone who could live off coffee until 11 am and then eat everything in sight.
What’s a Mom to do? I have two words for you….OATMEAL MUFFINS! These are so easy to make, healthy, and most importantly delicious. I take an hour or so out of my Sunday afternoon and whip up a batch or two. My husband takes the little one so they can spend some one on one time together and I have some quiet time for baking. Yes, baking can be relaxing, especially with this recipe!
First, Gather your ingredients and tools. Having everything at hand makes baking less stressful. It also allows me to pretend I’m the host of a cooking show…now if I just had someone to clean up behind me!
Mix the wet (excluding the milk) and dry ingredients in separate bowls.
Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Then, add the milk. The mixture will be very “soupy”.
Line a 12 cup muffin tin with cupcake liners. Use an ice-cream scoop to distribute the oatmeal mixture and liquid evenly. Use reserved blueberries to sprinkle on top. Sprinkle on top a few semi-sweet chocolate chips, too. Kids and husbands love the chocolate chips!
Make multiple batches to stock pile the in your freezer. For busy mornings, pop in the microwave for a healthy breakfast on the go.
- 2 eggs
- ½ Tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 cup fresh blueberries 5 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1¼ cup 2% milk
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs, vanilla, applesauce, and honey until combined.
- Add brown sugar, banana, and ¾ cup of blueberries.
- In another bowl, mix oats, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- Dump dry ingredients into wet ingredients; mix well.
- Pour in milk and stir until combined. (The mixture will be very “soupy”.)
- Prepare one 12 cup muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Scoop oatmeal mixture evenly into muffin cups. (An ice-cream scoop works great.) Top with remaining blueberries and/or semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until the center of each muffin is set.
- Cool and enjoy! You can keep these in the fridge for 5 days or place in freezer bags and freeze them for up to 3 months.
- Reheat Instructions - If warming from the fridge place in microwave for 30 seconds. If warming from the freezer place in microwave for 1 minute.
Inspiration for this recipe is from the “Money Saving Mom” blog and can be found here.
Kandace Callaghan, Lifestyle Expert and creative mind behind CarolinaMannequin.com, takes you on a quest to bring beauty and style to the everyday.