This Simple, One-Pan Sausage & Cabbage is a meal that I make pretty much every week. Some Sundays, I even go ahead and make a batch of this dish to have in the fridge for lunches or even breakfast! Yes, you don't have to have pancakes every morning - breakfast can be anything real food!
Brian and my girls never seem to get sick of this dish and it is easy as heck to make. That, my friends, makes a winning recipe! Plus, this meal gets my kids eating a bunch of cabbage so that is a win also. I sometimes add some carrots or even shredded spinach to up the veggie intake and to give everyone a little variety.
Sometimes, I even double this recipe to have leftovers for breakfast. Yes, I said breakfast. Right now, I am kinda obsessed with sausage and cabbage bowls with an egg on top. There is something pretty magical about it. You gotta try it. It's funny - a few years ago, I would have laughed at the idea of eating this kind of food for breakfast. Now, it is what works for my body and that is winning. When I eat a healthy breakfast, I just feel so much better all day long. I swear it helps with anxiety as well!
- 1 package chicken sausage (I love Al Fresco brand), cut into chunks
- 1 bag of cole slaw mix (just chopped cabbage and carrots in a bag!)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sriracha sauce or parmesan cheese, if desired
- serve over rice or pasta, if desired
- Brown chicken sausage in 1 tablespoon oil until brown. Flip after a couple minutes and brown other side. When done, transfer to a plate.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of oil and add veggies and sauté until soft.
- Add chicken sausage back to pan.
- Serve over pasta or rice, if desired, or just eat by itself! Top with sriracha or parmesan cheese if desired.
There really is no one way to make this dish. Sometimes, I even add a bag of frozen mixed veggies to incorporate some peas, broccoli, cauliflower - really anything. This meal is also a great way to use up extra veggies that need to get out of your fridge. Get creative.
I always try to have some kind of protein in every dinner. This way, I can call it a meal. Chicken sausage is one of those proteins that the kids love so I go with it.
Don't be afraid of subbing cabbage for your pasta and rice. I have been trying to watch my carb intake and I really don't even miss the starches. Cabbage is a rockstar veggie and it is cheap to buy which is an added bonus. Be sure and come visit me on Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest for more recipes and healthy ideas! Keep in touch and share with me what healthy foods you are eating!
Other posts you may like: