My kids are funny - if dinner is in "patty" form and they can dip it into something, it is usually a win! Green Monster Burgers have been a popular dinner around here so I tried it with Horseradish Kale Salmon Patties and we won again so I had to share with you all!
I'm always looking for ways to incorporate more veggies into my meals and into the bellies of my kiddos, Madilyn and Juliana (ages 7 and 4). I am a big believer that food is supposed to be enjoyable - even healthy food! For some reason, if I put food into patty form, my family goes nuts and gobbles it all up. Win for me. Therefore, I pack all kind of healthy goodness into patties and keep my fingers crossed that they go over well.
These patties are one of those recipes that you can make a bunch of and have lunch ready to go for a couple of days. We love to have salmon patties with homemade sweet potato fries.
- 1 large can of salmon, wild (14.75 oz) I like Wild Planet brand
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup kale, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 2 tablespoons horseradish, minced
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Saute onions and garlic in 1 tablespoon olive oil until soft.
- Drain liquid from the salmon.Debone if necessary.
- Combine salmon, sautéed onion and garlic, kale, breadcrumbs, parsley, eggs, mustard, horseradish, salt, and pepper.
- Form mixture into patties.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Brown salmon patties on both sides (about 4-5 minutes per side).
- Place cooked patties on a paper towl to absorb excess oil. Serve with extra mustard on top, if desired.
There really is no one way to make salmon patties. This meal is a great way to use up extra veggies that need to be used up. I have added mushrooms, leftover quinoa and lentils, cauliflower and even sweet potato chunks! Get creative.
When putting together meals, try to focus on a good quality protein - like wild salmon - and think about how you can add veggies to it. I love to use Wild Planet Wild Alaska Pink Salmon.
Fresh herbs add a ton of flavor. Fresh dill is incredibly good in salmon patties. Don't love salmon? Try with canned chicken or even leftover roasted chicken. Remember that dinner doesn't have to be fancy. It just needs to be made with real food.
Other posts you may like: