Cold Quinoa Salad when it’s SO. DAMN. HOT.
When I was pregnant with Madilyn I don’t remember being SO. DAMN. HOT. No, I am not talking about being good looking. I might have a little bit of a pregnancy glow but I think it is mostly sweat because I am SO. DAMN. HOT.
Pregnant in August is what I imagine menopause to be like. Hot. Lightheaded as soon as I walk outside. Finding excuses to stay inside in the air conditioner. Telling my 2-year old that mommy gets too hot outside to take a walk. Below are my Do’s and Don’t to staying cool during pregnancy.
- Put your feet in your toddler’s baby pool.
- Put a cold washcloth on your forehead or the back of your neck when you feel overheated.
- Run those air conditioners. Like all the time.
- Embrace being pale – it’s better than being burnt!
- Drink lots and lots of water! Fill up a big pitcher of water and add lemon slices and sip on it all day long.
- Sit in your toddler’s baby pool by yourself in front of your neighbors.
- Pass out outside while walking with your toddler and your dog – I felt close to this one day. Yikes.
- Worry about the electric bill.
- Sit in the sun – pregnant women burn easier. Stay in the shade!
- Be tempted to drink too many of those $4 coffee drinks. Caffeine and too much sugar makes it worse!
Cold Quinoa Cucumber Salad
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
2 cups water
2 carrots, chopped
1 cucumber, chopped
1 can of garbanzo beans, rinsed
1 lemon, juiced
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
handful fresh parsley, minced
salt and pepper, to taste
In a large bowl, mix together the lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, parsley and salt and pepper. Whisk together. Add the chopped carrots and celery. Add the garbanzo beans.
In the meantime, cook the quinoa for about 20 minutes. Let cool for about 5 minutes and then add to the dressing and vegetables.
Refrigerate and serve cold.
hahah I love the don’t list…That’s fantastic!
I love cold quinoa salads…They are so light and fluffy yet satisfying!